Local area

Beroun district

Beroun is in the western part of Central Bohemia, near the city of Prague. In history, an important trade route passed through the district leading from Prague to Plzeň (Pilsen) and on to Bavaria.

There are many historic and cultural monuments in the district dating from different periods. You will find the royal castles of Karlštejn, Žebrák and Točník, and a number of stately homes, including that in Hořovice.

The district of Beroun is not only interesting in relation to its history, it also has the most beautiful countryside. There are two landscape conservation areas – the area of Křivoklát and the Bohemian Karst. One of the most interesting localities in the Bohemian Karst is the most extensive complex of caves in Bohemia, the Koněprusy caves.

Thanks to the original flora and fauna, here the region was declared a UNESCO Biosphere Reservation. It is also interesting from the geological point of view.

Beroun

The town of Beroun was founded on the main route leading from Prague to Plzeň. At the points where the road crossed the town wall two tower gates were erected - the upper or Plzeň Gate and the lower or Prague Gate. The first mention of Beroun dates back to the year 1265, when Otakar II of the Premyslid dynasty was on the throne. At this time, a Dominican monastery was founded here and work began on building the town fortifications. The old centre contains historically valuable buildings documenting the 700-year history of this royal town. Due to this, the town centre was declared a conservation area. The oldest and most valuable building is the Jenštejn House. Today, it houses the Bohemian Karst Museum and the Talich Memorial Hall.

The Gothic St. James' Church was built in the 13th century at the time when the town was founded. The building of the Beroun Town Hall underwent a series of adaptations before it acquired its present appearance. There were originally two medieval houses here, which were joined in the 16th century. After 1560, the building was rebuilt into a Renaissance town hall.

After a big fire in 1781, it was reconstructed in the baroque style. Extensive adaptations were carried out at the beginning of the 20th century – the frontispiece with three gables, clock and the stucco and sculptural decoration.